What is Build Civitas (beta)?

Build Civitas is a platform for communities. It removes barriers so that more people can start communities on the internet.

If you have a group that might be interested in meeting online, please propose a new group.

How much does this cost?

Build Civitas is 100% free. If you’d like to support the site, consider making a donation. The service is also a lead generator for my consulting business.

In the future I might add a subscription fee for communities that grow large enough to impact my costs, but Build Civitas will always be free for small communities.

In addition, communities that find a better home will be able to take their data with them. I’ll provide a copy of the community’s topics suitable for importing into another Discourse instance. It’s possible I’ll provide hosting at some point in the future, but I’ll offer assistance if the you decide to move to another host altogether.

What’s the catch?

For the moment, each group will be limited to a single category and won’t have access to some Discourse features.

I can’t make any promises about uptime. You can see our recent status, but past performance does not predict future results. (By the way, I use Uptime Robot for monitoring.)

This is a beta service and you get what you pay for.